Teachers and doctors provide vital services to our community – and yet they're just two of the important positions you might hold if you work at a school or hospital. Both workplaces offer a wide range of jobs so employees can keep upskilling and growing.
If you work at a school or hospital in San Gabriel Valley, CA, and you're interested in taking your career to the next level, we're here to help you achieve that goal. Read on to find out more.
HOW DOES THE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM WORK?
Each year, Foothill Credit Union gives up to $3,000 to members who want to advance their educational or medical careers.
The scholarship provides you with a handy stepping stone to professional advancement. You can use the funds to pay for tuition, resources, laptops and technology equipment, housing costs, or anything else you might need related to your studies.
Here's what you need to know about the scholarship:
- To qualify, you need to be currently studying toward a career in the educational or medical fields, or you need to be currently working in the field and looking to level up.
- You need to be a member of Foothill Credit Union to apply.
- If you're not a member, you can join now. Once you've been a member for three months, you can apply for the scholarship.
- You need to apply in August, September, or October of any year.
- You can't apply if you're a Foothill employee, a Board or Committee member, or a family member of an employee or board or committee member.
WHEN SHOULD I APPLY FOR A CAREER ADVANCEMENT SCHOLARSHIP?
Our scholarships for professional advancement for teachers and healthcare employees are awarded every year.
The program is offered from August to October so be sure to apply in that timeframe! Our scholarships have been helping advance careers across the area!
"Foothill has supported Azusa High School over the past three years...and personally they've helped me with the Summertime Savings Account…(They have) provided me with the Career Advancement Scholarship and I'm able to continue my studies as a life-long learner. I want to thank Foothill Credit Union for everything they've done for Azusa High School and myself."
– Martin G. Principal of Azusa High School and member since 2019
POSSIBLE CAREER ADVANCEMENT PATHS FOR YOU
Maybe you like the idea of advancing your career but you're not sure which direction to go. With a little inspiration and extra training, the opportunities are endless!
Professional Advancement for Teachers
Teachers often fall into a routine of teaching the same age group or subject, year in and year out. And while this means you become an expert at what you do, you might get to a point where you want a change.
Here are some interesting jobs in the education field that you could try next:
- Specialist Roles: Helping students who can benefit from support through literacy programs, special education, learning behavior, and more.
- Department Head or Grade-Level Chair: Liaising between management and the teachers in your subject or grade.
- School Principal: Becoming head of your school.
- School Counselor: Helping and guiding students within the school.
- School Social Work: Liaising between students at school and families at home.
- College Professor: Moving into the highest levels of education.
- District Administrator: Moving into district leadership and making decisions that affect all the schools in your area.
- Education Consultant: Working with non-profit organizations and for-profit companies to help boost educational achievement in your community.
- ESL Teacher: Teaching English as a Second Language may give you the chance to travel.
Healthcare Career Advancement
The medical field offers so many different positions that all play a vital part in keeping people in our community healthy and safe. No matter what role you perform right now, there's always scope for change and growth!
Here are some of the major career pathways in healthcare, plus examples of in-demand jobs:
- Therapeutic Services: Diagnosing, and Treating: Dentists, optometrists, physicians, physician assistants, radiographers, surgeons, nurse practitioners (NP), podiatrists, and veterinarians.
- Assisting with Diagnosing and Treating: Registered nurses (RN), dieticians, pharmacists, genetic counselors, technologists, technicians, medical assistants, aides, and home health aides.
- Rehabilitation Roles: Audiologists, occupational therapists, physical therapists, speech-language pathologists, recreational therapists, and respiratory therapists.
- Educational Roles: Dietary managers, biomedical writers, mental health workers, health educators, and health science librarians.
- Administrative and Health Information Services: Hospital public relations officers, quality assurance directors, medical coders, medical secretaries, admitting officers, nursing home directors, and geriatric care managers.
- Research and Development: Biomedical engineers, biostatisticians, epidemiologists, environmental health scientists, and biotechnology specialists.
For many of these jobs, you'll need at least a bachelor's degree and often a master's degree.
PROFESSIONAL AND CAREER ADVANCEMENT WITH FOOTHILL
If you're thinking the scholarship isn't for people like you, think again! Foothill Credit Union was created to serve schools, hospitals, and businesses in our community.
So if you work at one of our treasured schools or hospitals -- doing any kind of job at all -- then you should think about applying! Teachers can become principals and leaders. Medical assistants can become surgeons. All you need is a dream and a helping hand.
Learn more by clicking below.
School Employees Hospital Employees