College Bound Scholarship
Foothill will be awarding $2,000 scholarships to three select Foothill Money$mart or Money Bound students entering their Freshman or Sophomore year of college. If chosen, the award will be paid directly to the recipients by April 15, 2021.
Completed applications must be submitted no later than March 26, 2021.
Congratulations to our 2021 Recipients:
- Vanessa M.
- Thalia M.
- Gillian T.
Any Foothill Credit Union Money$mart or Money Bound member who is either entering their freshman or sophomore year of college may apply for this scholarship. Applicants for the scholarship must have a minimum overall G.P.A. of 3.25 with their last or current educational institution attended. Each applicant must have a Foothill Credit Union account in his/her name.
What if you are not a Foothill member?
If you are not a member, you may open an account and become eligible to apply for the scholarship. If selected a winner, you must be a member for at least three months before receiving the award. Applicants who are not members for at least three months must wait until this period has ended to be awarded. Applicants who have a full scholarship are not eligible for this award.
What else should you submit besides the application?
- An essay from the student
- Letters of recommendation from a teacher and a sponsor.
- A current or past teacher of the applicant
- A sponsor, employer, or coach (A sponsor is an individual who has directly and actively led an extra-curricular activity or organization in which the applicant has participated.
- Letters of recommendation can be emailed to Foothill Credit Union at email@example.com or mailed to Foothill Credit Union at P.O. Box 660130, Arcadia CA 91066-0130, attention Marketing.
- Student activity sheets
- Copy of transcript (current school attending) unofficial transcripts will be accepted.
- College acceptance letter or email (money will not be awarded until proof of college acceptance is shown)
Detailed requirements for the essay and letters of recommendation are provided on the application.
All parts of the application may be typed on a separate sheet of paper, if desired. All required information must be included (see forms for details). PLEASE DO NOT STAPLE.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please mail your application and all your forms together. Foothill will add your letters of recommendation from your teachers and sponsors to your scholarship packet once we receive them.
Selection of Winners
Financial need is not a criterion for this award, nor is class rank, or SAT/ACT score. Applications are judged on:
- Student Essay: Write a short essay (250 words or less) stating what career you would like to pursue and why. What have you done to contribute to your future success in meeting this goal?
- Ideas/Content: Essay is clear, focused and addresses the assigned topic. It holds the reader’s attention.
- Organization of Essay: The organization enhances and showcases the central idea.
- Sentence Fluency: The essay has an easy flow and rhythm.
- Conventions: The writer demonstrates a good grasp of standard writing conventions (e.g. grammar, usage, capitalization, punctuation, spelling, paragraphing) and uses conventions effectively to enhance readability.
- Word Choice: Words convey the intended message in a precise, interesting and natural way.
- Student Activity Sheets (to be filled out by the student): Outline any awards received, participation in extra-curricular school activities, community activities/volunteer programs, and any employment information.
- Recommendation Letters: Address the applicant’s character; what the teacher/sponsor believes are his/her greatest attributes; specific accomplishments; examples of educational, employment and/or community leadership; his/her potential for future personal achievement; and why the teacher/sponsor feels the applicant deserves a Money$mart scholarship.
- Foothill Credit Union Money$mart Membership
Applications are judged by a group comprised of Foothill Credit Union employees. All decisions are final. The College Bound Scholarship Program cannot provide any information on the status of the applications. Please do not call.
Completed scholarship applications must be received no later than March 26, 2021. Only selected scholarship recipients will be notified.
Foothill Credit Union employees, Board and Committee members and their families are not eligible for the MoneyBound Scholarship award. All decisions are final. Foothill reserves the right to hold all submitted documents. We suggest you make additional copies for your records.Go to main navigation